Every family relies on a babysitter from time to time, but how do you choose the right one? I’ve compiled a list of five traits that will help you choose a babysitter that your kids will love — and you'll feel confident trusting, too.
1. FUN: Kids always want a fun babysitter. Someone who has creative ideas and a lot of energy is sure to have kids smiling ear to ear while they’re doing something productive yet fun, and that’s exactly what kids want. I won’t lie, as a parent I want that for my kids, too!
2. UNDERSTANDS BOUNDARIES: Most kids won’t just come out and say it, but they crave boundaries. They therefore want a babysitter who isn’t afraid to set boundaries and work within the routine already developed within a household.
3. COMPASSIONATE: Of course kids want to feel like the person who is taking care of them actually likes them and is happy to spend the day with them. A kind and compassionate babysitter is key.
4. SMART: Kids ask a ton of questions, and they seem to enjoy it when adults have answers to their questions —or at least pretend to have answers. Babysitters should be educated and able to keep up with your child’s questions and curious nature.
5. SAFE: Safety is so important, and kids know it, too — on some level. A babysitter should have good judgment and be a quick thinker. Kids want to feel safe whether at home or at the park, so a babysitter should be confident and focused.